New in Canada? Your Income Tax Questions Answered...

If you moved to Canada in 2019 or earlier as a new immigrant, on a work permit or on refugee status, you need to file your tax returns.

You can feel confident and secure filing your taxes at H&R Block. They have helped millions of Canadians file their taxes accurately for over 55 years. 

H&R Block has rigorous security protocols and checks to keep your information safe, secure, private, and confidential.

The team of professionals at every office makes you feel welcome, shares their knowledge with you, listens and explains things clearly, and provide great value for your money. Also, over 50 languages are spoken fluently in their offices across the country.

The H&R Block tax professionals and franchise owners in each H&R Block office not only work, but often live in the local communities they serve. You may bump into then at your local grocery store.

Together with H&R Block, we have put together the most important things you need to know below:

The deadline for filing Individual T1 returns that were due on April 30, 2020 has been extended to June 1, 2020.

For self-employed individuals or those who have spouses or common-law partners that are self-employed, the deadline to pay any balance due for your individual income tax and benefit return has been deferred to August 31, 2020, however your income tax and benefit returns still needs to be filed by June 15, 2020.

Most people in Canada will have to file a tax return, even if they made no income.

When you file your tax returns even if you don’t yet have a job or earned income, you can still cash in on tax breaks and credits.

For instance, the child tax benefit is available for most Canadian parents regardless of employment status. You can also claim things like medical expenses, educational expenses, and childcare expenses. The more expenses you can write off, the greater chance you’ll get a refund.

Yes. Canadian residency for tax purposes is not the same as residency for immigration purposes. Temporary residents, such as foreign students and foreign workers do need to file a Canadian tax return.

If you owned certain properties (other than taxable Canadian properties) at the time you immigrated to Canada, the CRA considers you to have sold the properties and to have immediately reacquired them at a cost equal to their fair market value (FMV) on the date you became a resident of Canada. This is a deemed disposition.

Your property could include items such as shares, jewelry, paintings or a collection.

Usually, the FMV is the highest dollar value you can get for your property in a normal business transaction.

You should keep a record of the FMV of your properties on the date you arrived in Canada. The FMV will be your cost when you calculate your gain or loss from disposing the property in the future.

You dispose of your property when, for example:

  • you sell it
  • you give it
  • it’s destroyed
  • it’s stolen

If you have a loss resulting from the disposition of those properties, you can only deduct those losses from any gains you had from selling the same type of property. You cannot use this type of loss to reduce any capital gains you had from selling other types of properties.

If you immigrated during the tax year, you’ll only be taxed on the non-Canadian income you earned after you became a resident. Anything earned up to that point should be declared, but you won’t be taxed on it.

The non-Canadian income earned before the immigration date is declared for proper determination of the non-refundable tax credits.

You can claim eligible moving expenses if you moved and established a new home to work or to run a business at a new location. You can also claim moving expenses if you moved to be a student in full-time attendance in a post-secondary program at a university, college, or other educational institution (including co-operative students).

You can maximize your refund by contributing the maximum you are allowed to into RRSPs and TFSAs. And the optimum is to contribute as much as you can afford to. 

You can contribute to your RRSP every year, but there’s a deadline you need to meet. For the 2019 tax year, the deadline is March 2nd, 2020. 

The money you put in will be deducted from your overall taxable income from that year, so make sure you contribute on time. 

Your RRSP contribution limit is based on a number of things including your earned income for the past year, and any unused contribution room from previous years (the government sets these limits). 

Check your Notice of Assessment from last year to see how much contribution room you have. You can exceed your RRSP contribution limit by up to $2,000 without being subject to a penalty. 

The best way to determine what is right for you is to chat with an H&R Block Tax Expert at an office near you.

Knowing your annual salary is a good start. From there you can use the H&R Block tax refund calculator tool (see link below) to find out how much of a refund to expect.

When you enter your province of residence in the calculator, you will be able to identify which Canadian tax bracket you fall under. 

It is important to make sure you have all the receipts and income records you need before you get started on your taxes. H&R Block has a handy checklist that lists everything you should have on hand to file your taxes. See the link to the Tax Checklist below.

To stay in good standing with the CRA you should file your taxes every year. You must file a tax return if you owe on taxes or want to receive a refund. You may have had too much tax deducted from your pay cheque and/or not benefited from all the deductions and tax credits you were entitled to. To recover that money, you have to file. Also, if you owe on your taxers and do not file then you will incur interest on what is owed.

Filing your taxes unlocks benefits and refundable credits that you will not get if you don’t file. Like the Child Tax Benefit, working income tax benefit, Climate Action Incentive or GST credits. Filing also creates contribution room in your RRSP and allows you to carry forward, or transfer to a family member, any unused tuition or education amounts.

Yes, H&R Block has a Free Second Look program that allows you to have up to three of your past returns reviewed to see if they can find money you or others missed. And they’ll do it for free. Get the details of this Free 2nd Look service in the link below.

Your best option is to drop in an H&R Block office near you and speak to one of their Tax Experts. You can easily find an office location HERE.

Over 1,100 locations across Canada

H&R Block - COVID-19 Update

H&R Block offices are open for business and they have new filing options available.

Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) - COVID-19 Update

Important changes to tax-filing and payment deadlines

Helpful Tools & Solutions

Use this simple income tax calculator for an idea of what your return will look like this year. You’ll get a rough estimate of how much you’ll get back or what you’ll owe.

Before you get started on your taxes, make sure you download this checklist to make sure you get every tax credit and deduction you’re entitled to.

These articles will help you understand the tax opportunities that apply to you.

With Free Second Look, H&R Block will  review up to three of your past returns looking for money that others missed.

And they’ll do it for free.

Frequently Asked Questions

If you discover an H&R Block error on your return that reduced your refund (or increased your liability), they will amend the return at no additional charge to correct their error. 

If H&R Block makes an error in the preparation of your tax return that costs you any interest or penalties on additional taxes due, although they do not assume the liability for the additional taxes, they will reimburse you for the interest and penalties. 

H&R Block has over 7,000 tax professionals across the country that complete almost 2 million tax returns every year.

An H&R Block average tax expert has 9 years of tax preparation experience and 738 hours of tax training. Their year-one tax professionals receive more than 72 hours of training at the H&R Block Tax Academy before they see their first client.

You can read more about the H&R Block Tax Academy HERE.

There are also over 50 languages that are spoken fluently in their offices across the country.

The H&R Block tax professionals and franchise owners in each H&R Block office not only work, but often live in the local communities they serve. You may bump into then at your local grocery store.

H&R Block was founded on principles of trust, integrity and the delivery of outstanding products and services which has stood the test of time for over 55 years.

H&R Block has a a range of business procedures and security safeguards to ensure that your personal information is kept confidential, safe and secure no matter where, when, or how you complete your return.

Your personal information is kept confidential, safe and secure and is used only in accordance with their Privacy Policy or as otherwise consented to by you.

Yes, many of H&R Block’s 1,100+ offices are open year-round. Visit the office locator webpage HERE.

If your local H&R Block office is closed outside of the tax season, you can call the toll free line 1-800-472-5625 to find the office nearest to you that is open all year round.

Over 2 million tax returns get reassessed every year in Canada and no matter how accurately you complete your return, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) or Revenu Québec (RQ) may still review and audit it.

With H&R Block’s Audit Assistance and Audit Representation service, one of their tax professionals will be beside you from the moment you receive a CRA/RQ assessment or audit, helping you through the entire process.

Read about H&R Block’s Peace of Mind® Extended Service Plan HERE.

H&R Block as Canada’s Tax Experts, knows how to get you the maximum refund because they’ve been at it for more than 55 years and have done more than 50 million tax returns. 

They offer a Maximum Refund Guarantee, Year-round service, and Audit assistance.

The team at every office makes you feel welcome, shares their knowledge with you, listens and to explain things clearly, and provide great value for your money.

You can read about the H&R Block Advantage HERE.

Note: All product and company names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by them.